Leeds United owner Massimo Cellino’s return to English football saw him attempt to buy back a club that he sold in February 2010.
Cellino was cleared to re-enter football last Friday following a lengthy case that concluded last month, and is under increasing pressure to return funds from player sales.
Following Championship football’s summer transfer window, Cellino gave BBC News England an insight into his club’s preparations for the 2017-18 Premier League campaign.
On transfers, the Italian says the club have already spent in excess of £7m on players, adding: “On transfers, we don’t need to spend much.”
When is Cellino ready to return funds from player sales to Leeds?
“We won’t see the money from transfers,” he says. “This money is not coming back to me. We have sold players and they are selling their seasons away. But the players will still be available [to sign].”
The Championship club have brought in four players for varying sums, including two from Premier League clubs – Raul Jimenez from Championship side West Bromwich Albion and Jake Clarke-Salter from QPR.
The attacking wingers are both part of a system the owner hopes will see the club challenge for promotion to the Premier League.
However, the 37-year-old says the club do not need further funds to achieve this goal.
“We are speaking to players from a lot of different clubs all over Europe,” says Cellino. “People call us a ‘the big club’ but there are still some great teams in Europe in the Championship and people have to decide which team is the best.
“But no-one knows who is the best. We are a team with players who are good and they are ready to play.”