Image copyright REUTERS Image caption From Holocaust monument Facebook ad
Facebook has apologised after some users found a Holocaust-denying image had been used in a marketing campaign.
The advert, which featured a doctored image of the Holocaust museum under the word “Truth”, was seen by 20 million users on the social network.
Facebook said it had apologised for the advert, which was removed on Thursday and has been deleted by US advertiser John Daly.
“I have been monitoring content on Facebook, and Facebook has failed me,” he said in a post to Facebook users.
According to Mr Daly, the advert had appeared in “Sponsored Stories” – a system by which any image or message can be posted on the platform – and may have also been seen by other users on Facebook.
Image copyright Supplied Image caption Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has said that his company will no longer run ads advocating for white supremacy
In an email to BBC News, Facebook said it has apologised for the advert and removed the post, following a complaint from Mr Daly.
“People have the right to express different views, including those that express denial of the Holocaust,” a spokesperson said.
“This post does not allow for free and open expression and did not strike us as aligned with our values,” he added.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a Facebook post that the company will never allow any ads that are “content designed to cause harm or stir up hostility”.
He added that this includes any that advocate for or promote hatred or violence against a race, religion, disability, or gender identity.
Facebook has faced criticism from the Jewish community after the Holocaust-denying image was used in the advert.
In a statement on his Facebook page, Mr Daly said he was proud of standing up to racism and anti-Semitism.
“I’m a Jew. When people say ‘Rabbi, help me, I am anti-Semitic,’ I know that on one hand it hurts me to see this kind of hate, and on the other, I do not want to remain silent,” he wrote.